Simon Cowell wants the X Factor to stay on our screens for several more years.
The contracts for X Factor and Britain's Got Talent expire at the end of next year, but Simon says he has received several offers from other broadcasters to continue the show if ITV drop it.
Director of television Kevin Lygo praised the show earlier this month and admitted he can’t launch new shows which match its success, even if ratings have dropped off in recent years to around six million – less than half of what it managed at its peak.
Simon told the Mirror “I’ve got three offers on the table this month from broadcasters who want to do a deal on this show and on Britain’s Got Talent. They are proven brands and they bring in the right audience, so that has never been an issue.
“We’ve turned down bigger offer deals before in the past. All I’m saying is we know what audience it brings in and what it brings in advertising. But, funnily enough, that has never been a concern. My concern is more of a personal thing to make sure the audience don’t get bored with it – we’ve never had a problem selling the show.”
Talking about this year's show “Literally, it’s like being on a different show. It’s like X Factor’s Got Talent. It has a different kind of energy.
You can see, particularly with Robbie – his confidence and how much he’s watched the show over the years – he kind of knows the show better than I do. He had his feet up on the desk from day one. They have all brought on this total new energy. They were so enthusiastic.
“To be honest with you, yes – it’s the best £10million I’ve ever spent. In life you have to do things like this. I’d rather do this than do nothing. For me it’s exciting and makes it more thrilling.
“But with all three of them you can see they’re not just there because they’ve got a pay cheque. They’re really happy they’ve got this job and they’re making a difference.”
X Factor returns Saturday 1st September ITV 8pm